So, with the crazy weather here in the Mid-south, I wanted to give something that would maybe help everyone feel a bit more grounded and not so under the weather. I did find this recipe among my hordes of recipes. This one came from Mother Earth Living. All of the herbs used are great for pick-me-ups and are said to be quite beneficial to aiding in your health, especially during the crazy winter months.
• 4 cups spring or bottled water
• 1/2 teaspoon dried ginger-root
• 2 teaspoons roasted dandelion root
•1/2 teaspoon star anise
• 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon bark
• 2 teaspoons honey
• Milk to taste
• Nutmeg to taste
• Cardamom pods (bark removed)
1. Slowly heat the water in a noncorrodible saucepan.
2. Put the herbs into a mortar and crush slightly (or put them in a blender and run it briefly—just enough to release some of the aromas from the herbs).
3. Add the herbs to the warming water.
4. Cover the saucepan and simmer for about 10 minutes.
5. Strain the liquid into two large mugs.
6. Add 1 teaspoon of honey and a splash of milk to each mug. (Optional)
7. Garnish with a sprinkle of nutmeg, and offer a toast to a great winter (optional)!
So grab a loved one and share with and enjoy some wintry warmth to your day!