I was digging around for a good recipe to share with you and encourage me to keep drinking more tea. I stumbled across one – ironically at the Martha Stewart site – that just seems like spring in a glass. March, April, and May been it’s strawberry season if you’re trying to stick with seasonal yumminess. I wanted to find a recipe that celebrated the coming of Spring. And this did the trick.. and has me wanting to get off the couch and go get strawberries from the store! I usually try to keep away from recipes that use ‘tea bags’ so if you want to continue with that tradition, you will need about 16oz of a loose black tea of your choice. So no more gabbing from me, grab the recipe below and enjoy it for me!
- 8 black-tea bags
- 1 pound strawberries, hulled and halved (quartered if large)
- 1 cup water, plus more for steeping
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup fresh basil, plus more for serving – or use mint if you don’t have fresh basil
- Ice, for serving
- Bring 4 cups water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add tea bags, and let steep for 5 minutes.
- Place strawberries in a bowl. Bring water and sugar to a boil in a small saucepan, stirring until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat, add basil, and let steep for 10 minutes. Strain over strawberries; discard basil. Toss to coat. Let stand until cool, about 25 minutes. Combine strawberries (with syrup) and tea in a pitcher. Refrigerate until chilled. Serve over ice, and garnish with basil.
Don’t forget to check out the subscriptions we have over at CrateJoy if you’re wanting monthly teas to try!